Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Soup Season

First, I was told that people couldn't comment on the blogs, so I've edited the comment settings. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I had harvested a small head of cauliflower over the weekend (still have a few out there), so I opted for a curried cauliflower soup last night. The recipe was loosely based off the 'Simple Suppers' cookbook from the Moosewood (which I highly recommend if you don't already have it. It is a great cookbook for dinners you can throw together after work).

I sautéed up a couple of onions until translucent in a couple of T of olive oil, then I added 1.5 tsp of cumin, a tsp of salt and a 'thumb' of grated ginger and sautéed that for a few minutes. I added a quart of turkey stock (which I have finally run out of, about time to cook up another turkey) and brought that to a boil. I diced up a quart of canned tomatoes and added that along with their juice to the soup and heated that up to boiling again. Meanwhile I cut up the cauliflower into bit sized pieces (3-4 cups) and added that along with a 15 oz can of kidney beans. I cooked that for 5-10 minutes until the cauliflower was tender and then pureed 3 cups of the soup in the blender (carefully) and added it back in.

I served the soup with a dollop of peach chutney in the center and dinner rolls.

Dessert was a couple of apples baked at 400 for 15 minutes or so (until soft), that were topped with a mix of cinnamon and sugar.

2 comments:

Lise said...

Yay! I can comment! Sounds yummy...

Anonymous said...

I really think this blog would be even more effective if you have all of us watchers over once a week for that weeks recipe! :)